Differnce between web developer and web designer

HTML, CSS and anything else that deals with client side capabilities.

Moderator: General Moderators

Differnce between web developer and web designer

Postby techfreakd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 am

can anyone please tell me the difference between web developer and web designer ?
techfreakd
Forum Newbie

Re: Differnce between web developer and web designer

Postby social_experiment » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:46 am

A developer builds systems or applications while a designer is more responsible for making sites and applications look pretty. You can go into semantics and say "a developer also has to design the system" but that (to me) isn't the same as designing a website with the intent of improving it's looks / making it work in all browsers.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Postby social_experiment » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 am

ice age4 wrote: web designer use Photoshop or CorelDraw for their designing things.

good point; i think that will be a more clear cut way of separating the two terms
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Postby adivol » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 am

Web developer builds all the elements of website like templates, interface, modules and plugging but web designer makes a website look more attractive by making modification in layout, CSS and picking right color texture for a website.
adivol
Forum Newbie

Postby pickle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:40 am

A designer makes things pretty.
A developer makes things work.
Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
pickle
Briney Mod

Postby twinedev » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 am

ice age4 wrote: web designer use Photoshop or CorelDraw for their designing things.

If they are using CorelDRAW, then they are neither... They should have been using Corel PhotoPaint.... (Corel user joke, Draw is equivalent to Illustrator or InDesign, PhotoPaint is equivalent to PhotoShop. I was a Corel Suite user 18 years until I finally jumped ship to CS6 when it came out)

Anyhow, I agree that a Developer is more on the programming behind the site, making it "work", where a designer is more of the visual look and getting it turned into the HTML/CSS.

There are some overlaps of course, I see more of the "Developer" crossing into the Designer side than the other way (but maybe that is because I'm a developer, most of the time doing the back-end/JS programming) You can create the site in HTML/CSS without knowing how something like JS/PHP works, but to be effective in JS/PHP, you should have a good understanding of the HTML/CSS.
twinedev
Forum Regular

Postby madelinekim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 am

Web developer and web designer both are different thing. Web designers are responsible to design attractive website structure or layout only where as web developers are responsible for coding and programming means web developers perform some programming actions which is user friendly.
madelinekim
Forum Newbie

Postby annaharris » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 am

Web designer who designs the look and feel of the web pages & Web programmer who use back end server languages like ASP, PHP, JAVA to write the logic for a web application.
annaharris
Forum Commoner

Postby jessepit » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Web Development relates to developing a web page, usually refers simply to the non-design aspects of building web sites, e. g. writing markup and also coding while Website development is a technique of conceptualization, planning, modeling, and also execution of electronic media content shipping and delivery via Internet.
jessepit
Forum Newbie

Return to HTML, CSS and other UI Design Technologies