How can one set a jQ variable as an attribute?

JavaScript and client side scripting.

Moderator: General Moderators

How can one set a jQ variable as an attribute?

Postby drayarms » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello, I am trying to use the iterator from a for loop as a variable that would dictate various css attributes on a page. So here is the loop. It is actually part of a larger program which I won't and has been greatly edited because what the program tries to accomplish is irrelevant to my question. It works except that I'm not sure how to set that iterator as attribute values.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]

for(i = 0; i < frame_count; i++){

$(".frame").slice(i,i+1).show(); //Display right odd frames

$(".frame").slice(i,i+1).css({"top":"-798px","left":"102px","z-index":"-1", "height":"380px", "width":"180px"});  //Position right odd frames

}//End of for loop

Now for this line, .slice(i,i+1).css({"top":"-798px","left":"102px","z-index":"-1", "height":"380px", "width":"180px"}); Im actually trying to replace the numeric values with multiples of i such as "top": "-798*i" or in some cases, a complex algebraic expression involving i such as "left":"(102*i + 3)px" How do I accomplish that? Any ideas please?
drayarms
Forum Contributor

Re: How can one set a jQ variable as an attribute?

Postby Robert07 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:43 pm

If I understand what you are looking to do, you might want to create new parameters from the calculations inside the loop like this:
var multiple = -798*i;
var otherCalc = 102*i + 3;
Then refer to your new variables later instead of trying to put a calculation where a value should be.
Robert07
Forum Contributor

Return to Javascript