godaddy economy windows - pdo and sql server?

Need help installing PHP, configuring a script, or configuring a server? Then come on in and post your questions! We'll try to help the best we can!

Moderator: General Moderators

godaddy economy windows - pdo and sql server?

Postby cootcraig » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

First off, I'm new to PHP, so bear with me. I want to know if I can use PDO to MSSQL on
the GoDaddy economy windows accout and to write or find a simple example of accessing
the Sql Server.

I have been assigned to build a site on a GoDaddy economy windows account. I would prefer
to use php (and YII framework) to classic asp or asp.net. First up I want to demonstrate that
I can talk to the account's Sql Server.

I see that the mssql library is available, but I would prefer to use PDO, because I think PDO
is supported in the YII ORM.

I see these DLLs at C:\\php5\\ext which gives me some hope.
php_pdo.dll
php_pdo_mssql.dll
php_pdo_odbc.dll
php_mssql.dll
php_sqlsrv.dll

Any advice or pointers?
I will gladly post my attempted code if anyone is interested.
cootcraig
Forum Newbie

Re: godaddy economy windows - pdo and sql server?

Postby califdon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 pm

I have had a Linux account at GoDaddy for years. I guess I'm surprised that they support PHP on a Windows account, but if you've seen those DLLs, maybe they do (or is that just the PDO drivers??). But my advice is to call GoDaddy tech support. I have found them to be really good and willing to try to help. It's not a toll-free number, but there's no charge for support.
I don't make syntax errors. It's just that sometimes whoever wrote the programming language failed to anticipate my creative coding.
califdon
Jack of Zircons

Postby Doug G » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Have you tried running a phpinfo() page on that server? phpinfo() will tell you all the supported php features.
======
Doug G
======
Doug G
Forum Contributor

Postby Eric! » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 pm

I've used PDO on a shared cheap godaddy Linux account. but in general I've found godaddy to be a horrible host with really outdated libraries (cURL for example). They also kill cron jobs if they run "too long" and I've had nothing but problems with their mail servers.
Eric!
DevNet Resident

Postby cootcraig » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:13 am

It looks like I've got a local php5.ini file that adds this extension

extension=php_pdo_odbc.dll

I can create a PDO object with my Sql Server ODBC connection string now.

It's, been a frustrating day. Off to dreamland and I'll try doing something with PDO/ODBC tomorrow.
cootcraig
Forum Newbie

Postby cootcraig » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 am

Doug G wrote:Have you tried running a phpinfo() page on that server? phpinfo() will tell you all the supported php features.

Yes, phpinfo() showed me that my attempts at a local php5.ini were messed up. I found out how to copy the stock php.ini, but it ended up badly formatted and erred out. Eventually I started picking through the mucked up file and cherry picked what I wanted.
cootcraig
Forum Newbie

Return to Installation and Configuration