PHP4

Swift Mailer is a fantastic library for sending email with php. Discuss this library or ask any questions about it here.

Moderators: Chris Corbyn, General Moderators

PHP4

Postby azthoa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Hello!
My website is written in PHP4.

I noticed that the examples seem to be for PHP5.

Are there any examples around showing how to create and send messages using the PHP4 version of Swift Mailer?

Thank you in advance.
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Re: PHP4

Postby John Cartwright » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:27 pm

As far as I know, Swiftmailer requires PHP5.
Code: Select all
if ($toBe || $notToBe) echo 'That is the question'; 

NEW HERE?: Please read the Forum Rules, and take the Forum Tour before posting!
John Cartwright
Site Admin

Postby azthoa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes, the current version requires PHP5. In the download area, there are various versions that support PHP4.
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Postby Weirdan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:59 pm

azthoa wrote:Yes, the current version requires PHP5. In the download area, there are various versions that support PHP4.

Tarballs themselves include some docs and examples - look into 'docs/' folder
Weirdan

Postby azthoa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Not sure what you mean by Tarballs.

Looked in docs folder - saw lots of stuff, but nothing that I could determine was an example.
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Postby Weirdan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm

tarball is a .tar.gz (or .tgz, or .tar) file

SwiftMailer 2.x used to contain several examples in its distribution, but it seems those are no longer in the tarball for SwiftMailer 3.x

Docs for 3.x is here: http://swiftmailer.org/wikidocs/
Weirdan

Postby azthoa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you for this information - it helped me to send out my first e-mail.

Questions:

1) Is there are a way to do something like:
$recipients->addTo("webmaster@azthoa.com", "AZT Webmaster");
to set the email address and the name belonging to the e-mail address for the sender?

2) I have a distribution list of 1300 people. Is it best to send out 1300 e-mails, or group them in groups of, say, 100 per e-mail, sending out 13 e-mails? Of course, I'd use BCC when applicable.

3) Is there a limit of how many e-mails or e-mail address one can send to within a specified timeframe? When experimenting with PhpMailer, it stopped working at 900, regardless if I sent them one at a time or in groups of 100. Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough between messages, or something else that I'm not aware of.

Thank you in advance!
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Postby Weirdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

azthoa wrote:1) Is there are a way to do something like:
$recipients->addTo("webmaster@azthoa.com", "AZT Webmaster");
to set the email address and the name belonging to the e-mail address for the sender?

Api docs wrote:class Swift_RecipientList:
void addTo (mixed $address, [string $name = null])

2) I have a distribution list of 1300 people. Is it best to send out 1300 e-mails, or group them in groups of, say, 100 per e-mail, sending out 13 e-mails? Of course, I'd use BCC when applicable.

My understanding is that BCC'd emails are more likely to end up in a spam folder, however if it works ok in your case - by all means try to offload sending process to the smtp server - meaning 'bcc:<1300 recipients>' is a preferred method from the performance standpoint.
3) Is there a limit of how many e-mails or e-mail address one can send to within a specified timeframe? When experimenting with PhpMailer, it stopped working at 900, regardless if I sent them one at a time or in groups of 100. Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough between messages, or something else that I'm not aware of.

This would likely depend on the smtp server settings.
Weirdan

Postby azthoa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm

I guess that I didn't ask the right question:

The addTo("address@youremail.com", "Persons Name"); allows you to send a message to: Persons Name <address@youremail.com>.

The $swift->send($msg, $recipients, "sender@myemail.com"), doesn't allow me to have the from address in the email message as: My Name <sender@mymail.com>. Is there a way to have the from address in the email message be: My Name <sender@mymail.com>?
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Postby Weirdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:27 pm

azthoa wrote:Is there a way to have the from address in the email message be: My Name <sender@mymail.com>?

Api docs wrote:mixed $from: The address to send the message from. Can either be a string or an instance of Swift_Address.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
//....
$sent = $swift->send($message, $recipients, $from =& new Swift_Address("sender@mymail.com", "My Name"));

Weirdan

Postby azthoa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Thank you very much for the prompt responses!

I have been able to send my first e-mail as I would like. Tomorrow, I'll start testing for multiple addresses.
azthoa
Forum Newbie

Return to Swift Mailer