SOLVED button

We know you have an opinion on how things should be run around here. These are suggestions for the forums, and the website.This forum is not a place to ask for suggestions to your own coding (or otherwise) problems.

Moderator: General Moderators

SOLVED button

Postby synical21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:05 pm

When a problem gets solved in the php code section it would be cool to have the creator use a "SOLVED" button which would make it stand out on the list of topics as being solved.
synical21
Forum Contributor

Re: SOLVED button

Postby JakeJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 pm

I agree. The main problem with that though is that the user who posted the topic would have to come back and declare it to be solved. Perhaps after 72 hours it could be declared solved unless the user comes back and reopens it for 48 hours.

Good idea though!
JakeJ
Forum Regular

Postby pickle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:44 pm

It's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how much it would be used. We've been trying to get people to put [solved] in their subject for years and it hasn't happened. I think for most people, once their problem is solved, they abandon the thread asking the question. Having a "solved" button wouldn't alter this behaviour I wouldn't think.
Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
pickle
Briney Mod

Postby Bill H » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 pm

I wonder how many people even know that the title of the post is changeable. A "solved" button would seem a lot more obvious, I would think.
Bill H
DevNet Resident

Postby JakeJ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Bill H wrote:I wonder how many people even know that the title of the post is changeable. A "solved" button would seem a lot more obvious, I would think.

I had no idea, but I'm new here.
JakeJ
Forum Regular

Postby Ragnis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 pm

I agree, i think it's a good idea.
Ragnis
Forum Commoner

Location: Saaremaa, Estonia, Europe, Asia, Planet Earth, The Solar System, Milky way.

Postby synical21 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 am

I didnt know you had to change the title to solved, I always come back to the thread to say thank you to.
synical21
Forum Contributor

Postby mrcoffee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 pm

This would be a great feature. I also like the idea of some automatic action after a period of inactivity, perhaps even a distinction between "solved" and "abandoned" would be helpful to see.
mrcoffee
Forum Commoner

Postby a94060 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 am

Maybe give the option to the user to click the solve button. Possibly after some time limit, another person who posted could press solved?
a94060
Forum Regular

Postby phu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

pickle wrote:Having a "solved" button wouldn't alter this behaviour I wouldn't think.

I'm sure it wouldn't completely eradicate the problem; however, an obvious "Mark as Solved" button would be a lot easier and, as others have said, more obvious than asking people to change their thread titles (I also wasn't aware of this request).

[edit]
Automarking them would be rather inaccurate... letting admins or mods mark threads solved might be a better solution.

Of course, short of custom stuff...
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1214795
[/edit]
phu
Forum Commoner

Postby hypedupdawg » Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Yes - a "solved" category would be useful. It would also be good if there was another set of topic symbols for the "solved" status, as they look better than simply writing "SOLVED" in big capitals. Here are a few I knocked up quickly from the existing icons:

Image Image Image Image

I don't know what the feelings are about locking topics after they have been unused for a certain amount of time, but I also went ahead and created these:

Image Image Image Image

Make of them what you will - I have no problems with anyone taking these images and using them.
hypedupdawg
Forum Commoner

Return to PHPDN Suggestions