PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:40 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hello All:

I am very proficient in PHP and MySQL programmer and web designer. Most of all my work in the past has been for myself, or very close friends. I would like to start my own company designing websites and programming.

However, in order to make a living, is it really possible to compete with the cheaper offshore companies who do the very same thing?

Thanks for your input.

--
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm 
Jedi Mod

Of course it's possible. You just can't compete on price. You have to be able to offer all the things the other companies can't - a personal friendly service, very fast turn around, a more professional approach, better quality code, knowledge of your local community... there are lots of reasons companies choose one web developer over another. You need to find what aspects of business you're best at then pitch your company's service to clients who value those particular qualities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm 
DevNet Master

You'll be surprised about how many people prefer to work with a local company, being able to meet up in person before signing up a contract, being able to easily discuss things, etc.

As onion2k said, don't even try to compete on price with those companies. You'll loose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:29 pm 
DevNet Master

A good client will care more about the assets you develop for them, and that you do so reliably. Wealthy clients know that money is an illusion, and that a business is like a tree, the more they water it the deeper the roots will grow, so that once the tree starts growing they dont have to water it anymore.

do good work and the good referrals will flow in. Also a lot of companies are afraid of getting scammed or having the outsource help drop the ball.