Starting a Web Design Company -Competing w/ Offshore Company

Express the business side of your digital lives. Share your experiences and/or your comments regarding a business or organization.

No advertising.

Moderator: General Moderators

Starting a Web Design Company -Competing w/ Offshore Company

Postby 123websitedesign » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Hello All:

I am very proficient in PHP and MySQL programmer and web designer. Most of all my work in the past has been for myself, or very close friends. I would like to start my own company designing websites and programming.

However, in order to make a living, is it really possible to compete with the cheaper offshore companies who do the very same thing?

Thanks for your input.

--
Ed
123websitedesign
Forum Newbie

Re: Starting a Web Design Company -Competing w/ Offshore Company

Postby onion2k » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Of course it's possible. You just can't compete on price. You have to be able to offer all the things the other companies can't - a personal friendly service, very fast turn around, a more professional approach, better quality code, knowledge of your local community... there are lots of reasons companies choose one web developer over another. You need to find what aspects of business you're best at then pitch your company's service to clients who value those particular qualities.
onion2k
Jedi Mod

Postby matthijs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

You'll be surprised about how many people prefer to work with a local company, being able to meet up in person before signing up a contract, being able to easily discuss things, etc.

As onion2k said, don't even try to compete on price with those companies. You'll loose.
matthijs
DevNet Master

Postby josh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:29 pm

A good client will care more about the assets you develop for them, and that you do so reliably. Wealthy clients know that money is an illusion, and that a business is like a tree, the more they water it the deeper the roots will grow, so that once the tree starts growing they dont have to water it anymore.

do good work and the good referrals will flow in. Also a lot of companies are afraid of getting scammed or having the outsource help drop the ball.
josh
DevNet Master

Return to The Enterprise