PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Why do you use PHP and what's your experience level?
Just started PHP, want to make a private homepage 8%  8%  [ 30 ]
Have coded some PHP and have done a couple of websites 20%  20%  [ 74 ]
At the beginning of becoming a web-developer and am working on my first project 18%  18%  [ 67 ]
I've done a number of smaller PHP projects and have sold them successfully 24%  24%  [ 89 ]
I've developed a number of bigger PHP projects and am an IT professional 23%  23%  [ 88 ]
I am a senior web developer and mostly deal with application design 8%  8%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 378
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:04 am 
Forum Commoner

I'm an IT professional doing mostly network/systems admin and IT management stuff.

Been learning bits of php for about 6 months as I wanted something to code a couple of admin tools with. Constantly trying to do things I can't do, hence this forum is very helpful :D.

As my organisation is non-profit I often work on tight budgets, eg. the budget for our intranet development being so tight that I'm currently trying to knock it together myself, along with some kind of cms - which is just way ahead of my knowledge level at the moment, but I'm slowly getting there.

I've done a couple of small sites for people here and there, though I could do a lot better now even with the small amount of php I know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:45 am 
Forum Regular

In reaction to 'improve the forum', it's not realy ontopic on 'what are you doing with php'.

But, i think that a 'Latest Topics' page, with some more topics AND a auto refresh on that page will help some of us watching the forum for questions.

btw: i know the 'View posts since last visit (1)', 'Unanswered Questions' etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:49 am 
DevNet Master

[]InTeR[] wrote:
In reaction to 'improve the forum', it's not realy ontopic on 'what are you doing with php'.

But, i think that a 'Latest Topics' page, with some more topics AND a auto refresh on that page will help some of us watching the forum for questions.

btw: i know the 'View posts since last visit (1)', 'Unanswered Questions' etc.

Improving a forum starts with knowing about the users of the forum (i.e. you) so we can bear that in mind when implementing changes, introduce new features etc. You have to know who you'll be catering for before you start cooking a five-course menu.

There is a Site Suggestions forum for anyone who has suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:49 pm 
Forum Contributor

I am a profession web developer for a mortgage company in NE Ohio. Our IT staff, which consist of help desk, projects, and programming, takes care of everything that our company uses internally. This means that we write all of our intranet applications in-house. We develop in PHP4 using MySQL as the backend database. We have plans to migrate to PHP5 in the near future, provided that we can maintain compatibility with our existing code base. The work keeps me busy and I'm lucky because I think I'm working with some of the best PHP developers I've seen. (all 6 of them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:25 pm 
Forum Contributor

3 years of PHP for me...developed a number of small sites and am now working a dotcom as a dba/developer to migrate from ASP (yech!) to PHP (yeah!)...

Current projects have included 3rd party PDF integration into the site, IVR integration in site, as well as an ongoing projects to move to a completely distributed DB environment for our customers and develop spatial reporting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:54 pm 
Forum Contributor

By day I am a sr. web developer using ASP/ASP.NET and I do PHP mostly for personal projects. Great forum with a vast amount of knowledge and experience. Ideas for the forum? Might be nice to have some transitional material for "PHP for ASP programmers" perhaps? Would have been very usefull, early on. Lots of analogies between the two. About to try learning Java...seems a few analogies between that and .NET. I think things are going towards becoming familiar with and integrating with multiple platforms and languages, so perhaps knowing a little about the ideosyncrancies of each could be usefull.

A lot of the questions I see posted are very basic problems people have doing that first app that connects to a database it seems. That, and basic SQL questions. Perhaps another idea to explore.

fv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:21 am 
Forum Contributor

I'm a freelance hacker and I've been coding in PHP for about 3 years. I switched from Perl/CGI because a client with a large and long time contract offer wanted to use VB & ASP and host on Windows (AHHHH!!!) because his guys didn't like Perl. As an alternate I told him about this new language called PHP that looked pretty easy to learn, his guys might find it easier than ASP. But the big sell was Open-Source and Linux, forget thousands for SQL Server! Go MySQL and PHP. I was forced to learn it fast and use it for a large project out of the gate. It went great and it still being used by about 60K students in the state of Louisiana USA.

Now 90% of my clients want PHP/MySQL for the same reasons, Open-Source and Linux. PHP has been a great tool for my business, I have plenty of work and I can offer my clients some cool stuff.

One other thing, this forum helped me a ton in those first years, THANKS!
Good job. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:54 am 
Jedi Mod

I've been using PHP for a few years, coming to it from ASP, Perl and VB before that. My job title is actually "Senior Web Developer", so I clicked that one. I write all the usual web app stuff by day, and tinker with interesting php toys by night.. I'd love to say this forum helped me learn PHP, but I only joined it yesterday. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:24 pm 
Forum Newbie

I came from C language to ASP in 1996 then decided to go for PHP rather than .NET a little over 2 years ago. Spend most of my "get paid" time doing site search engines and CMS work. Nowadays for fun and pain I sit and reverse engineer things like Drupal and PHPnuke. When I am bored I try and make bad code PHP5 compatible.

Next on the agenda is SAP, Sorry MS you've been put last on the list since I got all those MCP Certs that lead to absolutly no work at all. PHP is putting food on the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:06 am 
DevNet Resident

I had started coding in PHP only 3 days before I joined this forum.
but nowit seems like ages. the amount of info available on this forum is MASSIVE.
REALLY MASSIVE. That helped firm my grip on this lang. quickly and helped me clear some of weak points.

3 Cheers for Ya Guys out there!
:P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:55 am 
Forum Newbie

I've been coding in PHP for about 5 months. I usually code small-time projects. Most recently I made an application that allows a user to store and retrieve various State press releases. I'm currently working on a forum for the State employees who are on the Web Commisions(sp?) Board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:12 pm 
DevNet Resident

XYZ: Move your post to the PHP Code forum and a lot more people will see it which in turn increases the chance that you'll get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:49 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi
My first computer was "ZX-Spectrum 48 KB" 1982 ...
Commodore64, Amiga500, Amiga1200, Amiga4000 after that a PZZZ...
First learned Basic/Cobol/Fortran ...
Now tired of it i do only PHP :-)
Age-42
http://www.vision.to

regards

Post subject: smartknight
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:24 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for this information.

Thanks & Regards,
smartknight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:13 pm 
Forum Contributor

Good to be back here !!!! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next