PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Are you for the monospace font in the posting form?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am 
DevNet Resident

I think it would be best if PHPDN used the "monospace" css font family for the message textarea in the post a new topic form. The reason why I suggest monospace font is because whenever I need to write a table design in the Database forum I usually write something like:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]

table
+----+------+-----+
| id | name | age |
+----+------+-----+
| 1  |  23  |  23 |
+----+------+-----+

it would be be nice to have a monospaced font so that I can align the rows up. With a monospace font it would be easier to illustrate things with text.

Try it out your self. Bookmark this code and call it Monospace it:

(function(){document.getElementById("message").style.fontFamily="monospace";})();

Add javascript: to the beginning of the code when you bookmark it. Then execute the bookmarklet when your on the posting form. This code changes the posting forms font to monospace.

How hard would it be to change the font in the posting form?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 am 
DevNet Resident

I too find the variable-width font annoying. I get around it by copy-and-pasting fixed-width text from my text editor.

For the subsilver2 theme, the fix would be to disable line 454 in styles/subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css

Line 454
font-family: "Lucida Grande",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;

This can be done in Firefox with the Firebug extension.

Edit: This post was recovered from search engine cache.

Last edited by McInfo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am 
Briney Mod

Monospaced font is generally harder to read when text is in a longer sentence or paragraph format.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am 
DevNet Resident

pickle wrote:
Monospaced font is generally harder to read when text is in a longer sentence or paragraph format.

Maybe so, but imagine how easy it would be to make text illustrations. Maybe PHPDN could have both as a preference in the user control panel.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:49 am 
Briney Mod

People try to communicate more than make text illustrations. If we have to choose one font, I'd think it better to error on the side of readability.

A user-by-user setting wouldn't be effective either. We'd then have some people with the default font, and others with a different font, which would make scanability worse.

What happens if you set your font to monospace, then decide to change it back? All your previous posts with your text illustrations would be broken.

I think most people here understand the how and why to put text illustrations in [code][/code] blocks. I understand why you would want something different, but I'm seeing more problems created than solved by adding a new user option.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm 
DevNet Resident

The request was to change the font for the textarea in the form on the post submission page (posting.php, not viewtopic.php). This would not affect how the post appears to other users.

Edit: This post was recovered from search engine cache.

Last edited by McInfo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:34 pm 
Briney Mod

McInfo wrote:
The request was to change the font for the textarea in the form on the post submission page (posting.php, not viewtopic.php). This does not affect how the post appears to other users.

So it was. Guess I got a little off track there.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Administrator

I'm ok with this. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:11 pm 
DevNet Resident

Yea I'm only talking about the textarea in the post form. Sorry if it got confused.

I only recommend this cause when I go to write things within the [code ] blocks I need to be able to line up characters and such. I don't see how changing it or allowing the ability to change it would hurt.

Btw, how'd you write [code ] without having to put a space at the end of "code"?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm 
Briney Mod

Ya, that makes sense. I'm for it. I can bring it up with the mods, but it'll be a simple change to make.

There is an option to disable BBCode, right under the posting textarea. That's not what I did though. If you embed BBCode tags within other tags, only the inner tags get interpreted. So basically I just did this:

[code[size=100]][[/size]/code]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm 
DevNet Resident

Oh interesting. They should make an [escape][/escape] BBCode element.

Well let me know if this suggestion gets in.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:49 pm 
DevNet Resident

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pushing for this feature. Did you talk to the moderators yet, pickle?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Administrator

This feature is in query to be added. We'll need to create a mockup and make sure a majority of the moderators approve it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:03 pm 
DevNet Resident

astions wrote:
This feature is in query to be added. We'll need to create a mockup and make sure a majority of the moderators approve it.

I've already created a bookmarklet in my OP that can be used on the posting form. Isn't that considered a mockup? All I'm requesting is to change the css font-family property for the textarea element in the posting form. Doesn't need to be really need an elaborate mockup, or does it?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:08 pm 
DevNet Resident

I agree this is a good idea, but only if it's an optional toggle box on the posting area - not a permanent thing.

It wouldn't be a great misery if this wasn't implemented - that's what things like Stylish (FF extension) are for.