PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Admin

I've seen this done before on various forums, and the intent is to figure out if a person is a native English speaker or not. The idea is that a person whose first language is not English should be forgiven for certain spelling and grammatical errors, and that a native English speaker should be held to a slightly higher standard.

It's handy, because far too often I find myself reading comments and what not from people, and I struggle their their horrid English. I don't want to say anything, simply because I'm not sure of their language status. However, knowing that someone is a native English speaker lets me know that the person is simply being lazy and can act appropriately. A person who is not a native English speaker would get a bit more understanding, as it's clear that they are trying to write in a language that is not their native tongue.

The idea would be to put this on the signup of the forums, and make it a UCP option that a person could set. This information would be displayed next to their posts, letting people know whether they are a native speaker or not. This would let posts respond with a better understanding that the poor English is simply not just laziness on the posters part.

I'm posting this here for public discussion. Obviously.

As a note: This doesn't mean native English speakers would be held to some sort of strict grammatical code of conduct.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 am 
DevNet Master

mysql_function(): WARNING: This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQLextension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 am 
DevNet Resident

Irony anyone? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:53 am 
Forum Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:05 pm 
DevNet Master

mysql_function(): WARNING: This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQLextension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm 
DevNet Master

I'm pretty sure Jason was referring to the blatant use of IM influenced abbreviations and the sort, and not specific types of English. Personally, I don't bother reading posts from people who can't use the full words out of laziness.

Last edited by Eran on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pytrin is correct. There is a vast difference between local dialect and blatant laziness. Typos (as can be seen) do happen. However, there is a vast difference between typos and:

"i need help wit this thing hear and its not werking now wut i meen? so can u plz help me wit this!?"

Not that something to such an extent normally occurs. However, it does also go a long way toward determining the intelligence of the person involved as well. As I've said, I've seen this in practice in other places, and one in particular, and the quality of the content was stellar.

My initial concerns would be is this too much an invasion of privacy? Would people be turned off by this? Would the kind of people we want here be turned off by this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:00 am 
Forum Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:28 am 
Forum Regular

+1, sounds like a good idea!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 am 
Forum Regular

If someone have posted a bad spelled post I usually take a look at "Location" and see wether the person is from an English spoken country or not.

Don't think it matters much if you can see if the person is a native English speaker or not, if the question is not understandable I ask them to clearify or just ignore the post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 pm 

As long as it's not required field - why not? We could go as far as allowing to specify their first language - non-native speakers often twist English in a specific way influenced by their first language. I know I do :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am 
DevNet Resident

would be neat if there was a handy button to google translate something from their native language to english because there are a lot of cases where im sure that would be easier to understand than their english.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:49 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 pm 
DevNet Resident

I think location is enough.. seeing that I'm from Bulgaria, you can guess English is not my native language. Of course, If I reallocate myself (to bigger rack :P), than my native language and my location can be different... but if I'm living in england, I'm supposed to speak English good enough, at least after the first few months there.