DN Forum project - development process and standards

We know you have an opinion on how things should be run around here. These are suggestions for the forums, and the website.This forum is not a place to ask for suggestions to your own coding (or otherwise) problems.

Moderator: General Moderators

Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Re: DN Forum project - development process and standards

Post by Jonah Bron »

Good point. There also could be a score system on how helpful the individual is, and things like being flagged, and such.

About starting a new thread for the forum core, I think this is it: I just got a little off topic.
Eran
DevNet Master

Post by Eran »

This thread is about the development process and standards. There should a separate one to decide on what features to include in the forum
jackpf
DevNet Resident

Post by jackpf »

Jonah Bron wrote:There also could be a score system on how helpful the individual is, and things like being flagged, and such.
Like karma with SMF :)
pytrin wrote:There should a separate one to decide on what features to include in the forum
Be a dear and post a link to the new one please :P It took me ages to find this one after the first thread.
Eran
DevNet Master

Post by Eran »

Here, I just created it now - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105801
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

One subject we have to consider, is the old "CPU or Disc Space?"

The way we code the forum can have an effect on both. For example, do we want to store the parsed version of a post in a separate column in the DB, or parse every single one during runtime? The first option would obviously save server power, while the other would clearly require much less space.

The decided solution will certainly depend on the specific application.
jackpf
DevNet Resident

Post by jackpf »

I think it depends how much parsing is done on the posts, and how many posts are displayed at any one time etc...

On my forum I parse every post on-display, and it loads in like...no time. 0.03 seconds or something. That's nothing.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

It does add up. I'm not saying either way, just that we should take that into consideration while coding. Of course, you already knew that. :mrgreen:
Eran
DevNet Master

Post by Eran »

This is basically a discussion on a form of caching, something which belongs in the feature list.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

I'm getting sad. Is this not going to happen? Is there not enough enthusiasm? Did I miss something?

:(
JNettles
Forum Contributor

Post by JNettles »

It sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind contributing - I did some work customizing Ikonboard back in the day so I have a bit of forum experience. Granted, it was in Perl but the concepts are generally the same.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

Could a moderator, or at least someone who has a bit more time than me start a Sourceforge project pretty soon? This is losing interest because there's nothing happening.

Lets get the ball rolling! We have plenty of developers here (including myself) who could work on this on the side.

Another great advantage to this, is that when there's a problem, or we want a new feature, it's not up to the mods. All the developers can pitch in.