PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm 
Site Administrator

I posit that Symfony is a far more advanced and more suitable starting point for this project. My reasoning includes decreased development time, better caching and template subsystems (which is needed due to the hardware we are working with), it's ability to pre-write base classes for database objects and forms, built in unit testing and numerous other reasons.

Please read which does a side by side comparison of Symfony to Zend when writing the same application.

I do have to disagree that Zend and Symfony both have high quality code. If I were to give Symfony an A, I would give Zend a C+/B-. There are many improvements that could be made to the Zend code. I'm refering to interfaces, methods and algorithms used in the code base.

I also disagree that familiarity with one framework over another is a valid argument. Both frameworks make use of MVC and hence finding your way around the codebase should not be a problem. If one were to say that we should write this entirely in procedural because that is what we all know and are familiar with it would not be considered as a realistic comment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 pm 
Site Administrator

Well that was my 2 cents. I'm not going to push it any further. I do genuinely feel that symfony would be a much better choice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm 
DevNet Master

would you be reluctant to work on the project if ZF would be chosen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Administrator

I wouldn't say reluctant, but I wouldn't be as excited about working on it or what the end result would be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 am 
DevNet Master

Do you have significant experience developing with ZF? cause in my opinion it's the best framework available.

Regardless, the end source should be as framework independent as possible, so it could be ported without much effort to any MVC based framework.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:45 am 
Site Administrator

No I don't however I have studied it. I can certainly understand why many developers gravitate towards it. It's very popular and used for all sorts of different projects. Once you get familiar with it, you're likely to stick with it.

This is why I very carefully evaluated all the different frameworks before choosing one. I studied the documentation, downloaded and reviewed the code and read the tutorials. I can see that there definitely is more code writing involved with Zend as compared to Symfony, especially considering the database models.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:47 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 am 
DevNet Master

Stack overflow uses something similar, which works well. They also have a fuzzy search on thread titles to prevent duplicates. Both could be very useful features

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:48 am 
DevNet Master

Hey, would it be cool to make it allow OpenID? (that's a real question, not an expression)

I've never been anywhere that took it, so I've never used it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am 
DevNet Master

I think having an API that allows integration of separate social profiles (including openID) would be great. People could then develop those as separate plugins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:02 pm 
DevNet Master

Another thing that would be cool, would be sub-moderator permissions. Like, suppose you've been on the forum a while, and you are a trusted user. An administrator can then give you permission to, say, move a post to a more appropriate forum. After a while, you've been around longer, you get something more advanced, like the ability to edit posts. That sort of thing.

I'd say make it automatic, after 1000 posts or something, but there might be potential problems there. Or maybe not?

The more power responsible, trusted, proven individuals have, the easier it is on the moderators, and the better the forum :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm 
DevNet Resident

Last edited by Darhazer on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:45 pm 
DevNet Master

I think reputation can work if implemented correctly (again, check out stack overflow's system). All of those features are nice to have, but not really core features - they can be added after the basic product is complete in my opinion. We should probably start a new thread on a list of features for the core forum system.