PHP future Scope

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

PHP future Scope

Postby prakashadmane » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:42 am

Hello Friend's

Tell me future scope of php? can be php become as strong as java.Today Not many MNC,CMM level company work on php .i haveing 2.5 year php expre. but i am still in debout abt my career ? java programer get more salary than php programmer with same year expr.

wairing for reply

Prakash
prakashadmane
Forum Commoner

Re: PHP future Scope

Postby alex.barylski » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:03 am

The simple answer to your question is that of supply and demand. Basic economics really.

There are thousands of projects done in PHP and because it's low learning curve entry rates are pretty high. Because there are so many PHP developers, the salary drops. There are fewer Java developers I am willing to bet so that increases their salary, in theory.

Again, there are literally 1000's of PHP projects, both open source and closed so I don't think the industry is going to ignore PHP as a technology. As long as the guys at Zend keep PHP up to date and develoeprs keep using it there will be a market. Basically it's up to you whether PHP lives or dies. When programmers top using it and begin porting applications to other platforms, then start to worry.

PHP ripped the carpet out from underneath Perl and I think it's gonna stick around for a while -- certainly it won't be de-thrown(sp?) by Java. It'll be some up start like a newer Ruby with some kick ass framework and IDE that steals it's top spot. The fact of the matter is, PHP does what it does really well. It attracts some interesting developers and lets millions more feel like programmers. :P

IMHO there are simply to many reasons for PHP to stay and not very good arguments for it to disappear. PHP projects tend to be smaller than Java applications, so even as lead developer you won't make a killer living as a programmer. Start your own business if you want big money.

Programming is a passion for most. It'll be hard to compete in a world where the next guy will do something for free out of desire, so if your after money, I suggest leaving software development and taking up banking or something. :P
alex.barylski
DevNet Evangelist

Postby onion2k » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:25 am

prakashadmane wrote:Today Not many MNC,CMM level company work on php

Rubbish. I'd be amazed if there's any multinational corporations that haven't utilised PHP somewhere in their web infrastructure. Just because their client-facing websites don't necessarily use it that doesn't mean it's not used anywhere.
onion2k
Jedi Mod

Postby hannnndy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 am

once i compared the PHP with JAVA for web development
the result was
java wins in 14 fields
php wins in 3 fields
as same of each other in 6 fields

so I turned around to learn java after 3 year experience in php but after a while I under stood that for the small and medium projects php is the best but for the large and huge ones java is the best i'm using the best now

like rup for large projects and agile for small and medium projects

Be happy
hannnndy
Forum Contributor

Postby RobertGonzalez » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Learn and know them both. It can only help you and doubles your chances of landing a very well paying job.
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Postby prakashadmane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 am

i wana apply for H1B visa.but all company saying me that they want java programmer , no know want php programer.i am too confuse abt my career . plz tell me what can i do? can i switch to java
prakashadmane
Forum Commoner

Postby RobertGonzalez » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:02 am

Java can only help you in the US. It does pay well. Few companies are going to accept candidates for PHP dev spots, but they seem to spring pretty regularly for Java and C# devs.
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Postby prakashadmane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 am

i have 2.6 year php expr. i am also scjp(jaave) certified .pepole asking me java expr. how will i shift to java.
prakashadmane
Forum Commoner

Postby onion2k » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:02 am

If you can't even work out how to begin I doubt you've got the problem solving abilities to be a successful developer. :banghead:
onion2k
Jedi Mod

Postby alex.barylski » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 pm

onion2k wrote:If you can't even work out how to begin I doubt you've got the problem solving abilities to be a successful developer. :banghead:

Ditto :banghead: :banghead: :lol:
alex.barylski
DevNet Evangelist

Postby alvinphp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Learn 5-10 languages. After the 2nd one the rest become easy. Why must people so severely limit themselves.
alvinphp
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh1billion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:38 am

alvinphp wrote:Learn 5-10 languages. After the 2nd one the rest become easy. Why must people so severely limit themselves.

It might not be difficult, but it is still time-consuming. :)
Josh1billion
Forum Contributor

Postby Chris Corbyn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:40 am

alvinphp wrote:Learn 5-10 languages. After the 2nd one the rest become easy. Why must people so severely limit themselves.

And at the same time you become a jack-of-all-trades who can hack things together and make them work but does not fully understand the intricacies of those 10 languages. There are exceptions of course. I don't think setting out to learn 5-10 languages is a good idea... In fact, it's a terrible idea. You learn the tools you need for the job.

To the OP, PHP jobs can pay well if you find the right companies. I've never felt underpaid apart from the very first job I got in PHP, and that's half to be expected walking into a compay as a guy with no programming skills on paper.

If you want to learn Java do it though. It's an awesome language and one I'd like to spend more time working with professionally as a matter of interest, not for more money.
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Postby John Cartwright » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 am

I am doing quite fine with PHP, thanks. :)
Code: Select all
if ($toBe || $notToBe) echo 'That is the question'; 

NEW HERE?: Please read the Forum Rules, and take the Forum Tour before posting!
John Cartwright
Site Admin

Postby Jenk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:45 am

My horizon was certainly broadened by learning multiple languages. My current role is primarily Smalltalk, but I was also employed for my abilities in PHP. I've also had some Java, C, C++ and C# work. (and to a much lesser degree, even shell scripting in it's various forms.)

Sticking to one language is a fools game, what is going to happen to you if your employer/department wants to switch platforms? Anyone can see that happening, and choosing a platform because of your abilities, not because of which platform is best suited to the task is shooting yourself in the foot. Yet going out to learn as many as you can is also a fools game. Find a balance between the two extremes.
Jenk
DevNet Master

Next

Return to General Discussion