Condescending programmers

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

alvinphp
Forum Contributor

Condescending programmers

Post by alvinphp »

So, how do you deal with condescending programmers in the workplace? Especially the ones with a stick so far up their rectum they do not realize what they are doing? Do you just feel pity for them (what I do), ignore them, or hopelessy argue them?
Luke
The Ninja Space Mod

Post by Luke »

I generally run into the opposite problem... programmers who don't know what they are doing at all and need to ask more questions.
Weirdan

Post by Weirdan »

If they are skilled programmers I feel pity for them. If they're not... I'd manage to get them fired, one way or another :evil:
MrPotatoes
Forum Regular

Post by MrPotatoes »

The Ninja Space Goat wrote:I generally run into the opposite problem... programmers who don't know what they are doing at all and need to ask more questions.
i'd rather have this as long as they work. even if it means me helping them thru hard <span style='color:blue' title='I&#39;m naughty, are you naughty?'>smurf</span>. but i'm a very helpful person belive it or not
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Post by RobertGonzalez »

I get just as condescending back at them. Eventually they'll get tired of being treated like something less than human and either leave you alone or report you. When they report you, you bust out your event log showing all the times they have been arrogant butt-munches and shove their face in it.

Whew, now that I am calm, you could always ask them the age old question... "How did you get this far in life being the way you are?".
Roja
Tutorials Group

Re: Condescending programmers

Post by Roja »

alvinphp wrote:So, how do you deal with condescending programmers in the workplace?
There are two types of programmers - the ones that know how to code, and the ones that don't.

BOTH can be difficult, and condescending, the difference is that the ones that know how to code can be worth it.
alvinphp wrote:Especially the ones with a stick so far up their rectum they do not realize what they are doing? Do you just feel pity for them (what I do), ignore them, or hopelessy argue them?
My approach for all people is to treat them with dignity and respect. I'll have a reasoned discussion with them, and then I will lay out any differences in opinion in summary fashion.

Once we agree on what we disagree on, then its fact time. Either of us can research proof for our positon, or (shock) write code to prove it.

If they know how to code, they will produce a good solution. If they don't, they won't.

If they produce a good solution, its worth working with that person to improve your interaction with them.

If they can't produce a good solution, consider focusing your energy elsewhere.
alvinphp
Forum Contributor

Post by alvinphp »

MrPotatoes wrote:
The Ninja Space Goat wrote:I generally run into the opposite problem... programmers who don't know what they are doing at all and need to ask more questions.
i'd rather have this as long as they work. even if it means me helping them thru hard <span style='color:blue' title='I'm naughty, are you naughty?'>smurf</span>. but i'm a very helpful person belive it or not
I prefer those that ask questions also as long as they do not keep asking the same question 20 times.
Luke
The Ninja Space Mod

Post by Luke »

I think some people missed the point of this post.
alvinphp
Forum Contributor

Post by alvinphp »

The Ninja Space Goat wrote:
I think some people missed the point of this post.
My mistake, I got what you are saying now and I agree with you completely.
alvinphp
Forum Contributor

Post by alvinphp »

alvinphp wrote:My approach for all people is to treat them with dignity and respect. I'll have a reasoned discussion with them, and then I will lay out any differences in opinion in summary fashion.
Many times the programmer believes they are responding with respect and do not realize just how condescending they sound. And these programmers can be smart cookies, but as soon as they use certian trigger words and phrases everything in the post which might of been meaningful is completely lost.
MrPotatoes
Forum Regular

Post by MrPotatoes »

Roja wrote:There are two types of programmers - the ones that know how to code, and the ones that don't.

1. BOTH can be difficult, and condescending, the difference is that the ones that know how to code can be worth it.

(...)
If they produce a good solution, its worth working with that person to improve your interaction with them.

2. If they can't produce a good solution, consider focusing your energy elsewhere.
1. no way man. either one isn't worth keeping. you either can do the job assigned or you cannot. either way making a hostile workplace is not a solution that you want. it's just going to hurt you int he long run.

2. no. social interaction is not only part of life it's part of something smaller, the workplace. if you can't interact there with your peers then you are just going to be the outsider. it's like a boss you can't talk to why stay or why should they?
alvinphp wrote:
MrPotatoes wrote:
i'd rather have this as long as they work. even if it means me helping them thru hard <span style='color:blue' title='I'm naughty, are you naughty?'>smurf</span>. but i'm a very helpful person belive it or not
I prefer those that ask questions also as long as they do not keep asking the same question 20 times.
tru dat
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post by Chris Corbyn »

I often run into a clash with my boss on our ideas of refactoring. He likes to have really long class methods full of loops, if..else conditions and over hundreds of lines. His idea of refactoring is only related to re-use of code. My idea is also to do with organisation/maintenance of code and we often bicker on that because he doesn't like to see a class/function used only once. I always just give in though since he's the boss :P For the most part I don't have to put up with "condescending programmers" though... we all get along fine and dandy :)