PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Basic SQL Interpreter
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:12 am 
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:55 pm 
DevNet Resident

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the purpose. Can you describe some usage scenarios? (No comments on the security, I haven't even scanned the code yet)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 am 
Forum Newbie

The idea, to allow SQL manipulation of php arrays.
If you believe this has no true purpose, are there better alternatives, or should array manipulation just be done with several functions specifically each time.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:32 am 
Jedi Mod

I can imagine it'd be useful if you store large quantities of data in a PHP array ... but to be honest I never do that.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:18 am 
DevNet Resident

You are reinventing, if not the wheel, then at least the database. There are already enough database solutions, the world doesn't need a PHP-based one. And don't explain your rationale for developing an SQL-over-array database with "to allow SQL manipulation of php arrays" - okay, I will believe you what the code does. What I asked was "why".

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:12 am 
Forum Newbie

I appologise for not answering your question.

Why, would be to extend the use of SQL queries to PHP arrays, this is of use to myself in that I use several means of data storage, for systems without access to proper databases, I was not intending to reinvent a data storage medium, just possibly enhance the manipulation of it. The contained PHP arrays are for example only, and could be the result of any number of data storage systems.

Currently I am making great use of CSV based storage, and occasionally allowing a user to build their data storage by adding a text based file (or even 'drag and drop'-ing pictures into album folders with a simple metadata plaintext file) to a simple directory structure has been useful.

My hope was that this interpretation of manipulation strings could simplify the process further.

The reason for posting this code was to know what people thought of the idea (not necessarily new) or the functionality, and I appreciate your feedback. Would you suggest all users without true database systems available should transfer to hosts providing such to enable CMS systems, blogs, wikis, albums? (!! I am aware that this functionality is already available, the interpreter would merely be to simplify manipulation).

Thanks, Seb.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm 
DevNet Master

There is database-less database solution for PHP, it's called SQLite .

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:59 pm 
DevNet Resident

Databases solve, often invisibly to the unexperienced user (which is not to say that you specifically are unexperienced) many problems which I doubt you have had the chance to address (but I still haven't checked your code, so you might have). File-based solutions work well on the development machine, and fail in unpredictable ways in the production environment. SQL queries in modern databases are well optimized before executing, so it's harder for the user to shoot himself in the foot. PHP itself is not well suited for handling huge datasets, while a natively compiled code will work much better on natively represented data.

Also, there are no systems without a database (any such you can point out is just statistical error ;) )

So, in short, I think it's a great intellectual exercise, but it has little practical value even on paper (and it will get no better when implemented in code).

@pytrin: SQLite is a regular database, just has fewer features and tighter storage. So is sebble_dot's project. A database is just organised storage (with an optional SQL interface, if you so insist)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:35 pm 
Forum Newbie

@pytrin: Thanks, I'll have a look at SQLite in a bit more detail. Seb

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:08 pm 
DevNet Master

@Mordred:
SQLite is not like a regular database, in the sense that it doesn't have a separate server process - meaning it does not require an SQL database engine to be running as service on the server for it to work. I think this is what sebble was looking for.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 pm 
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:33 pm 
DevNet Master

Can't you send a request to your server's NOC asking them to activate the php_sqlite module? We ask those kind of things all the time (hosted at servInt) and they usually follow through.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:19 pm 
DevNet Resident

Ah, so you both meant a database server.
I still can't think of any particular benefit for web development to use a built-in database versus a database server. Local sockets are fast, there is support for in-memory tables... No really, can you give one example where SQLite or sebble_dot's project will be better?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:21 pm 
DevNet Master

Don't get me wrong, I believe a database server such as MySQL is a superior solution and would always choose that given the choice. He asked about a specific database implementation (re: SQL parser) so I thought SQLite might be a good alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 am 
Briney Mod

Sounds like you've written something like Linq ()