PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:29 am 
Forum Contributor

(I have posted this here so that I can link it as an article on news.devnetwork.net - click to see the article there)

What do you do when your website is hosted on a server whose time is wrong, by an hour, by a minute, or even by a few seconds (if the seconds bother you..)? Or what if your host is just in a different time zone, and you want all date() queries to be returned in YOUR time zone, not theirs?

All you need to do is use this replacement for date(). I recommend putting it in a time.php file, and then including that file in all of your scripts. Any time you would make a call to date(), make a call to time_Date() instead. The calling syntax is exactly the same as date(), so if you want to make a transition from date() to time_Date() in all of your code, all you need to do is do a replace of "date(" with "time_Date(" in all of your files.

Whenever you need to change the time offset, just hard-code the $time_offset value in the function, and voila, all of your date/time queries will reflect the change. Just as you would with date(), you can also send in a timestamp as the second argument, and it will return the date/time for that timestamp (without offsetting it, obviously).

Optional: If you want to make the time offset dynamic (example: for the user to choose a time zone), you can also easily modify the code to meet those needs as well (I would recommend having a separate function if you choose to do that, though, and have that function make a call to this function, that way you can still use this function to correct the server time).

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
function time_Date($format, $timestamp=false)

{ // this function should be used in all cases where date() would otherwise be used

// Time offests are important if the server's time (or time zone) is wrong.

$time_offset = 0; // setting for a perfect server (one that doesn't actually need this function).  Change the 0 to a different value, depending on how wrong the server's time is.  This is measured in seconds, not minutes/hours.

// Examples:

// Change 0 to -21600 for a server which is 6 hours too fast

// Change 0 to 3600 for a server which is an hour too slow

// Change 0 to -1800 for a server which is half an hour too fast

if ($timestamp ==  false) // if timestamp is not passed..

return date("$format", date("U") + $time_offset);

else

return date("$format", $timestamp);

}

edit: oops, I should have posted this in the Tutorials section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 am 
Briney Mod

Actually, you should have posted this in the Code Snippets forum - I've moved it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am 
Forum Contributor

Oops, I didn't know this forum existed either. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 am 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

...but code must pass the critique first before it is allowed into Code Snippets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 pm 

Quick question, why did you use date("U") instead of time()?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

hmm.... it's so simple. the only critique I can come up with is that the function name doesn't describe what it does. I'd called it date_offset() or something similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:40 pm 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

The only comment I have is the function isn't flexible. It corrects server time to one and only one offset. This is fine if all I wanted to do is show the server's time according to some locale, but what if I want to use the user's time too? It should be possible to set the offset at will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:43 pm 
Tranquility In Moderation

feyd wrote:
The only comment I have is the function isn't flexible. It corrects server time to one and only one offset. This is fine if all I wanted to do is show the server's time according to some locale, but what if I want to use the user's time too? It should be possible to set the offset at will.

Sort of reminds me of this function i made a long time ago.

Set Search Time - A google chrome extension. When you search only results from the past year (or set time period) are displayed. Helps tremendously when using new technologies to avoid outdated results.