PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hi,

I have spent hours and hours trying to come up with a solution and I simply cant seem to do it. What I am trying to do is, using GD2, draw a rectangle (with varying stroke) which has smooth rounded corners. The problem is that it is a border to be overlayed over a background image so the rectangle and corners need to be transparent.

I have had some success by creating graphics for the corners but when they are resampled to create the antialiasing effect it alters the colour so when I set the transparency, only some of the pixels are removed.

Can anyone help??

Example: http://www.betaversion.co.uk/rounded.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 pm 
Forum Contributor

resizing transparent images is quite tricky, because resampling doesn't keep color values intact. You've discovered that already.

I think the best way to do this would be to use a truecolor image and alpha channel, and only convert to transparent image at the end, after resizing with resample. This would have the desired effect, because you must be aware of the fact that even if you successfully resized a transparent image, the pixels that lay on the edge of the border will be background-ish (white-ish in your case) due to mixing white pixels with border pixels. These pixels wouldn't be neither border-color nor white. So if you'd then merge this image onto a background, that white artifacts will be very visible, unless the background itself is white (which it isn't, otherwise you wouldn't care about transparency).

Or, if not that, you can use 24-bit pngs if you don't mind the fact that IE6 doesn't support them.

But, anyhow, do you mind posting your code so I can take a look? I have some experience with resizing, because I've managed to handle it in my image library (see my sig). It doesn't support drawing, but maybe you'd find it useful.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm 
Jedi Mod

dbevfat wrote:
Or, if not that, you can use 24-bit pngs if you don't mind the fact that IE6 doesn't support them.

IE6 can be made to support 32 bit PNG files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:47 pm 
Forum Contributor

My mistake, I meant 32, not 24 bit. And yes, it can be done, but only through CSS which may not be good enough and requires the image to be displayed within an HTML document.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 am 
Forum Newbie

that php rounded corners looks great, thanks for sharing