PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Testing the output
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 am 
Forum Commoner

I'm currently writing a class to generate a set of management pages (for adding/editing/deleting/managing records of a table), and I was wondering what is the best way to test it.

I've got template html files, my class picks them up, fills them up with the necessary data, and outputs them. I want to make sure the page works, and I was considering making simple string searches to make sure the required data showed up where it's meant to be. I'm sure there must be other ways to do this kind of testing, no?

How do you guys do it?

Post subject: Re: Testing the output
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am 
Forum Regular

Test all possible cases, ie you want to make sure you're hitting all of your code and that it works. Try entering data in every field and then check the database to see if it added/updated/removed as expected. Also try entering invalid data, out of range data and SQL injections. Basically you want to try and break it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 am 
Forum Commoner

Thanks Jade :) It's much easier to do that when you have a class and its methods, and you can just call them a bunch of times with a variety of different arguments to try and break them, but when it comes to testing an HTML page it gets harder :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:39 am 
Forum Regular

Typically what I do is I use the Firefox Web Developer add-on and go through enabling/disabling things and using the auto-form fill command trying to break the page. Of course it's tough to account for all situations (yes, users are very dumb and often enter incorrect data) but the more you try to kill your code the better your end results.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:09 pm 
Forum Commoner

The problem with that would be me having to do it manually. I've been searching a bit, and I might use Selenium, to test that the HTML functionality works as required. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 pm 
Forum Regular

Hmm, I dunno how fond I am of a script being responsible for checking if my html/forms are working properly... but that's just me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:43 pm 
Forum Commoner

Selenium acts human, as far as I've seen. Besides, when testing hundreds of times a day, you can't go check all the pages to make sure they work manually. Sure, you can do it manually now and then, but I like to make sure that if I change a piece of code, it doesn't break anything at all. Not the code functionality, nor the HTML pages.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:14 pm 
DevNet Master

Output buffering & regex. Or this instead of regex - http://framework.zend.com/manual/1.10/e ... query.html

Basically it works like jquery. You can say give me an array of all anchor tags. Or give me an array of anchor tags that have this CSS selector, or find me the anchor tag with this id attribute. You can then pattern match on individual tags/subsections of the output.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:27 pm 
Forum Commoner

That looks really good, thanks! I'll try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:02 am 
DevNet Master

You need Simpletest and its .

Obviously you can't point tests at the production server if they will manipulate data. I always set up an indentical staging server in VirtualBox or etc. Set tests which manipulate data to skip if they target production so you can run the rest of the test suite against the live site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 pm 
DevNet Master

I wouldn't say browser-based tests are brittle. I do think they are essential. Unit tests test individual components but they don't test if everything is working properly together. I could do something as trivial as misconfiguring a path in a config file and knock out the whole site even though all the unit tests are passing.

The TDD way - and testing doesn't really make much sense without TDD - would be to start with an acceptance test (eg with SimpleTest's webtester or the equivalent) which describes a web page, or maybe a form submission and the expected response. After that it's unit tests and code until finally the acceptance test is passing and you're done (but don't forget to come back to refactor).

As well as guiding you through the first coding run, a complete suite of acceptance tests are absolutely vital for future updates. It's so easy to break something else when you add a new feature. I wouldn't dare upload a line of code to production until I've checked all tests are passing on staging and I'll run them again (as far as possible, see above) on production when I'm done. I honestly think it's extremely unprofessional to work in any other way. In my current job if I make a mistake maybe we can't process payments or maybe the services being paid for go offline and we won't know anything is wrong until someone complains. That's just not acceptable, not for one second. It's bad for the site and it's bad for my professional reputation.

You can't avoid testing. The question is will you test in private with comprehensive, automated acceptance tests or will you test in public with "wait until someone complains" customer tests?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am 
Forum Regular

I have to agree with McGruff on this one. Sure you can use something to check your input and make sure the page compiles, but that won't tell you if your logic WORKS. If I enter "dog" into google I don't want to get a long list of results for "water softeners"....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 am 
DevNet Master

Last edited by josh on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am 
DevNet Master