PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: regex with pipes?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 pm 
DevNet Resident

I ran across some old code using regex like this for allowing alphanumeric with dot, dash and underscores:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
preg_match('|^[0-9.a-zA-Z_-]*$|', $value)

I was surprised to find it actually seemed to work, but I don't know why. The period isn't escaped and what's up with the pipes? I've only seen patterns done like /pattern/. I've found some cases where a similar regex from the same coder fails which makes me suspect they weren't properly tested. For example:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
preg_match('|[a-zA-Z]|', $value)

Seems to pass anything that has at least letter in it, but it is missing the string start ^ and $ so I would assume that it looks for one passing condition on any character and then returns a boolean result. The programmer was using this to validate alpha character strings, which obviously isn't correct, so I'm suspicious about all of the regex patterns.

Post subject: Re: regex with pipes?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 pm 
Spammer :|

The delimiters, the slashes you're used to, don't actually have to be slashes. They can be pretty much any character you want - just make sure you have one at the beginning and at the end before any flags, and that you escape any uses of it inside the expression. / and # are most common or popular, but I've seen ! ~ | used too.

As for the period, the rules inside character sets change a bit: many metacharacters lose their special meaning. Like . + * ( ) { } $ all become just regular literal characters while ^ and - gain new/different meanings. So while you could escape that period if you wanted to, it's really not necessary because there's nothing to "escape".

Side note: if you want to validate a string containing only letters, is better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 pm 
Forum Commoner

Couldn't have said it better than requinix!

Other delimiters I like are tildes and commas --- but I may be alone on that one.
I'll add that the forward slash is one of the worst you could choose as a standard delimiter because sooner or later you'll want to match urls, which will give you this kind of soup:
$pattern = '/http:\/\/www.you.com\/pics\//';

In your character class, note that you have all the elements of \w: 0-9, a-z, A-Z, and underscore.
So you could streamline the pattern to '|^[-.\w]*$|'
Err, I meant, ',^[-.\w]*$,'
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 pm 
DevNet Resident

Thanks. I couldn't find any specs on the delimiters (at least on the php side of the documentation) and I didn't know that the character rules changed. Like I said this is some old code and I found a bug with the alpha filter and when I was looking deeper I saw these other odd regex patterns. Now I know. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29 am 
Spammer :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 am 
Forum Commoner