I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult

Express the business side of your digital lives. Share your experiences and/or your comments regarding a business or organization.

No advertising.

Moderator: General Moderators

I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult

Postby mguise » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:16 pm

I have a freelance web/graphic design business that I have been building for a while. I recently accepted a full time job at a company working in web development. My problem is that the job starts in a couple of weeks. I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to fill while I have the full time job, i.e. due dates, etc.

As I am the only person in the company (it's an LLC) it's really too small to sell. Here is my dilemma. About a year ago I moved from a large city to a small town in south east Iowa. Two clients that I recently picked up is the city I live in. Only a population of about three hundred people. And the transport company that is located about a block from my house. I live next to these people so I don't want to make anyone mad. I need someone to take over these projects (websites) if I can. These clients have already signed contracts and paid me half up front to begin work. We are in the early stages of the design process.

So what do I do. I don't want to get into any legal problems as there is a contract. I also don't want to upset anyone because I am neighbors with them. I just don't have the time any more to commit to what I told them I would do.

Any business advice would be much appreciated.
mguise
Forum Newbie

Re: I have made commitments to my clients that will be diffi

Postby josh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

Why are you sacrificing an existing commitment to make a new one. I'd rather go out partying every day instead of working, its called responsibility...

Do you think someone is going to take the job for half pay? I think you should give them the money back, or turn down the job offer
josh
DevNet Master

Re: I have made commitments to my clients that will be diffi

Postby social_experiment » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:53 am

mguise wrote: I don't want to get into any legal problems as there is a contract. I also don't want to upset anyone because I am neighbors with them. I just don't have the time any more to commit to what I told them I would do.

That's the problem when doing business with friends or people that you know; In some sense you are using the trust built-up by the 'friendship' as basis for getting the job.

Either way you are going to disappoint someone; you need to figure out which party it's going to be. If you are legally bound then you risk more than a ruined friendship, have a look at the contract and see if there is a way to get out of it (legally). What josh mentions about giving the money back could be an option in this case.

Turning down a fixed income job is risky; freelancing is good if the money / work is constant; remove either of those from the equation and it's tough to stay afloat. I would take the job, the neighbors should be able to understand (once you give their money back) your dilemma.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Return to The Enterprise