Terms and conditions

Express the business side of your digital lives. Share your experiences and/or your comments regarding a business or organization.

No advertising.

Moderator: General Moderators

Terms and conditions

Postby social_experiment » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Working as freelance developer I've run into clients that often change what they want from the site halfway through the process. I have two options then, either cancel everything or continue ahead. I always accepted the changes and kept working but the changes always amounted to more time on the project than i planned for, which means i do more work for the same amount of money; a mistake on my part because i used to calculate the amount of time needed and then work out a price according to that. Now i work on an hourly rate which is probably the better option.

Now i want to add 'Terms and conditions' to my quotes (and site); which type of T&C's should i have (a basic outline will suffice)? I have a few that i think are appropriate but i don't want a client to be scared into accepting my quotation because of a long list of conditions. I did a quick search and found this page http://www.stevesims.com/terms.htm; these terms are something i have in mind.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Re: Terms and conditions

Postby php3ch0 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I always have a contract of work with my clients and tell them it is to protect them as well as you. It will outline what they are going to be getting for the money payment terms and key milestones, client responsibilities (ie provide text and images etc) and designer responsibilities (who provides the hosting, support SLA) etc.

Most of our clients are happy with this and feel better that they have something in writing confirming that they are going to get what they paid for and also stops any confusion as it can always be referred back to in the event of any doubt about what was agreed at the time.

If you are interested in seeing a copy of our terms send me a pm
php3ch0
Forum Contributor

Re: Terms and conditions

Postby social_experiment » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:15 pm

php3ch0 wrote:It will outline what they are going to be getting for the money

This is a good point to highlight to them because i think many clients (or potential clients) feel they will be trapped once they accepts the terms and conditions. I think having t & c's also shows some form of professionalism, showing that you are serious about what you and offer.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Return to The Enterprise