Lightbox effect for contact form

It doesn't matter if you do all the error checking in the world, or if you have the most beautiful graphics, if your site or application design isn't usable, it's not going to do well. Get input and advice on usability and user interface issues here.

Moderator: General Moderators

Lightbox effect for contact form

Postby social_experiment » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 am

I'm thinking of using a lightbox effect for a contact form; is this a good idea or bad in terms of usability? The effect will work with jQuery but i will have a back-up contact form in place should javascript be disabled.

To my way of thinking a user might be annoyed if they got to the contact page and had to click another button to display the contact form; any other thoughts about this?
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Re: Lightbox effect for contact form

Postby Eric! » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 am

Why don't you detect if javascript is disabled and redirect to the form automatically to avoid the extra button click?
Eric!
DevNet Resident

Postby social_experiment » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm

So if i accessed the contact page the form would be in a lightbox already, without having to click a button; assuming javascript is enabled
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Postby Eric! » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 pm

I guess I don't know what you mean. Detect if javascript is turned off and don't present the lightbox version. If it is enabled, then show it. Where are the extra clicks?
Eric!
DevNet Resident

Postby social_experiment » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm

If the user clicks on the contact page the contact form won't be displayed; for the user to see the contact form they need to click something (button, image, text link) to display the form, this is the click i am refering to;
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Postby Live24x7 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:07 pm

The user clicks on the contact link - if js is enabled - a lightbox pops up else he is redirected to a plain html contact page.
Everything happens in just one click.

On a sidenote - why are developers going crazy over lightboxes ?
How does it improve usability ?
It used to have a novelty feel when it was new.
but now with every other site employing light-boxes - one could look different by using plain html forms
Live24x7
Forum Contributor

Postby social_experiment » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 am

Live24x7 wrote:On a sidenote - why are developers going crazy over lightboxes ?
How does it improve usability ?
It used to have a novelty feel when it was new.
but now with every other site employing light-boxes - one could look different by using plain html forms

No idea but it can become very annoying very quickly; hence my question; Personally i feel if you have one in a specific area (a single form, or in a gallery) it won't detract from the site's overall usability. After some contemplation (and testing) i've decided to go with a for contact form without lightbox.
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Postby Live24x7 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 am

Live24x7
Forum Contributor

Postby social_experiment » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 pm

The 'immoveable and modal' point is what bugs me the most about lightboxes; good find on the article.
social_experiment
DevNet Master

Return to UI Design/Usability