PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 pm 
Forum Commoner

I have a few friends who I get to look over projects as I am working on them and they always seem to give me the same feedback, that the layout is good but that I am lacking graphics.

Fair enough. But I have a bit of a "thing" about accessibility which they understand nothing about! They also think Flash is good, for me that is a reason not to really listen to them but I am concerned that my sites are a bit boring.

Really you could say that I am a coder rather than a designer I try and code websites as well as humanly possible (strict doctitles etc.) but I am worried that that is not translating into work for me because strict doctitles mean nothing to newbies they take my abilities at their slightly bland face value.

My interest in accessibility has only really helped to secure a contract with one firm that does consultantancy on autism (so it's directly linked to disabilities).

That was really a long winded way of me asking how I know when things should be a graphic rather than text if there are ways of knowing that a graphic is more appropriate as well as any ideas for incorporating more graphics.

Its not got to the stage where I am replacing things with ASCII art :lol: but I do think I dont include enough graphics. How do I get into graphics, I borrowed Photoshop from someone and didn't have a clue what to do with it and online tutorials never seem to translate to anything relevant for the work I do.

What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:18 pm 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 pm 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 pm 
Forum Commoner

Thanks Guys.

I love CSS.

Problem is that means I forget about images. Do you guys reckon these sites need more gprahics as well?

They are both incomplete:

(I am aware of the problem with the image on the home page in anything except IE - I am working on it - any suggestions greatly appreciated!)

Thanks again :wink:

Last edited by darryladie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:34 pm 
Tutorials Group

Lets restate your current design process:

Make site, add graphics.

You are now saying you want more graphics. So reverse the process.

Make graphics, make site.

That way, the site design flows naturally from the graphics. The use of graphics is in no way an evil thing. Graphics can help clarify, structure, and break up monotony. They can be incredibly accessible - in some cases more than text!

The trick is getting the balance right. While an image showing a beautiful image of a carnival will instantly convey far more meaning than text can (thus being a great addition to a page), an image replacing every word of text will not.

Here are a few fantastic examples of accessible sites that are a million times better because of careful and appropriate use of graphics:

http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=142/142.css (Personal favorite this week!)
http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=189/189.css
http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=192/192.css

There are others on zengarden that can give inspiration. Remember, everything there uses the same underlying html structure - they only change the css and add images.

Images, as you imply, can be far harder to do well than code. In that regard, I can't help much. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
Forum Commoner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 pm 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 pm 
Tutorials Group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:04 pm 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:12 pm 
Forum Commoner

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Feyd:

You have both commented on the colour scheme, I will take another look at it :lol:

As to the autism website, the idea of the site was to be simplistic, I am aware of the problem with the image, I working on that atm.

Roja:

I'm glad you like the autism page, the idea was not to detract from the content and I was working from a design the client has given me :lol:

As I said above I am aware of the problem with the picture! :)

As to my site, looks like I have a bit of work to do! The picture in the middle of maroon page is not my creativity. That is the client's art, the whole site can be found here:

There are a few problems with that as well but that project is from like 8 months ago so I'm not changing it coz I'm not being paid 8)

I will work on my site as soon as the other one is done.

Thanks again. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:42 pm 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:55 pm 
Forum Commoner

Thanks Chris,

I already have an IF for IE to correct PNG transparency, so I will just add a style sheet in there as well to compensate for the wonders of IE!

Thanks very much,

Darryl

P.S. I really like the School Website you built, especially the title graphic and the nav, it works really well :lol: