PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:08 am 
Forum Newbie

As my title suggests, I'm considering starting a new game development company.

As much as I love gaming, I'm not content with simply sitting around waiting for unique games to come along in this market saturated with shovelware. I used to believe in Nintendo to deliver the goods, but even their top games in the past few years seem to be lacking that distinct shine and polish I've come to expect from them over the years. Microsoft and Sony aren't making it any better either, but you can't totally blame the big companies for all the lax developers and overbearing publishers that end up making things worse for the gamer in the end.

I think it's time to do something about this.

I want to make a company whose sole purpose is to create fun, but unique, games. You'd think that'd be every company's purpose in the games industry, but, sadly, it isn't. That, however, isn't something you can tell the corporate fat cats in a market saturated by quantity over quality. And that is exactly why I think our company will stand out.

I've currently got a game pretty far in development that I've been working on myself for quite a while now. I, however, do not plan for it to be my last. At the moment there are two people working on this game, but development is only as fast as I can create the graphics and program the engine myself. I won't be able to complete everything quickly enough to keep up with the constantly changing game market without some help, and I currently don't have the capital to hire anyone just yet as we don't quite have our product ready. I am getting to a point where I can eventually pay someone to help me, but I have to complete the game first. I need someone experienced enough with the online side of things, particularly with security and databases, to help me. This is a chance for all of us to break into the business, so I need to find someone with enough experience, willingness, flexibility, passion, and determination to help me get this thing off the ground.

The games industry is currently very hard to get into, but, to break into it, the key is to actually create something. Our first couple of games may not have a particularly strong return financially (at first), but it is at least a chance to show what we, both as individuals and as a team, are capable of.

The above link details the game we're working on currently. If you're interested in joining, we're going to focus on multi-player game development on the PC (since it is mostly low risk) until we can get enough money for a dev kit for consoles and are able to hire a programmer and an artist other than myself. Pay will likely be on a per-project basis, but this isn't guaranteed unless we finish the game, and it sells (obviously). At the moment, I'm looking for an online programmer (via PHP/mySQL) in order to connect our game clients with a database and display that information on a website or game client. This happens to be a game based on user-generated content, so security is very important. Since games are moving to online models, we're aiming to establish a very strong reputation in that area, so I'll need a devoted and experienced database and security programmer that can carry us through that side of things long-term. I only need people serious about breaking into the industry to apply. This is not a hobby project. It should not be taken that way.

I want to do what I love every day, and designing games is what I love to do. Unfortunately it just isn't possible to do what you love without being able to feed yourself, so that is something we must both consider before we attempt something like this. Yes, there is a risk. And, yes, there is a chance we may fail. However, as long as we are honest with ourselves about what we are doing this for, and stay focused and determined, no matter what, to complete the project, we will definitely succeed.

Anyone else up for a go at this?