PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RSS Disabled
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 am 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

We've disabled the RSS feeds because they are killing our forum. The MOD we're using is incredibly inefficient and is for the most part responsible for the long hangs we get. We'll look for an alternative solution ;) Sorry guys.

Post subject: Re: RSS Disabled
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 am 
DevNet Master

Not to worry. I'd suggest a custom solution - RSS might be ugly as hell, but it's not inefficient to generate it, cache it somewhere, and have lighttpd serve it up as a static file. On a busy forum list this you might just need to keep the generation to an interval or something so it's not constantly chugging along and making the cache pointless.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:28 am 
Forum Regular

I like having it on my personalized google homepage :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 am 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Our hangs are a collective issue between long page requests, MyISAM tables (I know I know... we're converting some to InnoDB when we get time to pull the forum offline) and crappy software (we have to limit our max apache connections to a lower than ideal number because phpBB3 will not even perform a single "Post a Reply" request with under 8MB of memory, and it won't do anything with UTF-8 with less than 16MB memory). Mayhaps once we have InnoDB so table level locking stops we may see a big improvement.

EDIT | And the relevance of my post is that the RSS MOD takes a LONG time when people try to generate "global" content (i.e. RSS feeds which cover the entire forum). When the board hangs there's always a stupidly long request for generate_feed.php occurring with ?content=global in it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am 
DevNet Resident

Chris Corbyn wrote:
Our hangs are a collective issue between long page requests, MyISAM tables (I know I know... we're converting some to InnoDB when we get time to pull the forum offline) and crappy software (we have to limit our max apache connections to a lower than ideal number because phpBB3 will not even perform a single "Post a Reply" request with under 8MB of memory, and it won't do anything with UTF-8 with less than 16MB memory). Mayhaps once we have InnoDB so table level locking stops we may see a big improvement.

If this is the case why upgrade in the first place, surely performance is the most important factor considering the level of traffic and therefore database requests this site makes and i see no worthwhile improvement over PHPBB2 really, although i havent really looked into this forum package in a good few years. Devnet has been down for me for the last 5/6 hours, when visiting the site the screen was competely blank and the request would never finish.

Seems like PHPBB3 has serious performance issues?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Administrator

It isn't the forum software so much as it is the entire environment (phpBB3 has some issues, don't get me wrong, but it is not entirely on the shoulders of the app).

The admin team has been investigating the issues and have plans to handle the situation in a way that causes the least amount of negative impact to the community. Trust us, we are on it.

And for the record, anytime the board is not alive, you can always send us a message at admin@devnetwork.net.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm 
Forum Contributor

Any progress on this? I'm now using RSS feeds for virtually everything I read, and it would help tremendously.

Thanks in advance..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:46 pm 
Site Administrator

I think we are looking at different mods right now. The last one killed our site. So we are holding out for something a little lighter on its feet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:53 pm 
Forum Contributor

So that's why the forum kept slowing to a crawl.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 pm 
Forum Newbie

Was this ever corrected? I love me some RSS feeds. :)