PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:09 am 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

It would appear we're pretty open to idea paths for what the contents of the book contains.

I'm imagining this book being like Game Programming Gems, GPU Gems, Graphics Gems, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:34 am 
Forum Contributor

I'd be interested in this. I can't say I could write anything worthwhile, but I can definitely contribute by editing and proofreading the articles and writeups that are posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:35 am 
BeerMod

Would you guys have any interest in making hard copies of this book or would they all be electronic? If you want to look into making hard copies take a look at http://blurb.com/ I read a review about them in the WSJ a while back that gave them good reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:05 am 
Site Administrator

Printed copy might not be a bad idea, though that might also be getting in a little deeper than it should at this stage. I still think this is a wonderful idea and I am looking forward to supporting in any way I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:50 am 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

hawleyjr wrote:
Would you guys have any interest in making hard copies of this book or would they all be electronic? If you want to look into making hard copies take a look at http://blurb.com/ I read a review about them in the WSJ a while back that gave them good reviews.

I don't want to say... It needs to be successful before it's worth printing. eBook is all I'd say at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:31 pm 
DevNet Resident

well damn it let's start! I wanna write! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Administrator

Maybe someone can propose a structure of how the content will be assembled and presented. Who is the target audience? Brand spanking new developers? Or folks that have some development experience, but are new to PHP? Or do we try to accommodate both groups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:37 pm 
DevNet Master

an idea for publishing: http://www.lulu.com/
Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:15 pm 
DevNet Resident

Everah wrote:
Maybe someone can propose a structure of how the content will be assembled and presented. Who is the target audience? Brand spanking new developers? Or folks that have some development experience, but are new to PHP? Or do we try to accommodate both groups?

Well, assuming that paticular piece of web software we plan on using supports it, I propose we have a general structure layed out first (i.e. chapters and sub chapters) and then allow users to add on to them and then after enough is added, say a vote is passed on it, we "lock" a section and then propose final revisions and cuts and shut off that part of the book. We continue this proccess until the book is accomplished then have another round of revisions to make sure the over all book flows. I say we make this book go from the lowest level entry programmer all the way up to the advanced, if neatly laid out it will be useful to both. Of course, I am shooting from the hip here....

edit: removed errors because I felt they made me look retarded. :-D

Last edited by Charles256 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Administrator

That sounds like a pretty decent way to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:23 am 
Forum Commoner

1. We can first decide what all topics the books is going to deal with. Then arrange the topics into three main categories namely newbies, novice and masters. Topics under newbies will give an introduction to using PHP, a special section pointing out the common mistakes we do as a newbie, something like a check-sheet.. and other basic concepts. Novice topics will contain some more indepth concepts and use of external scripts and addons. Master topics will contain advanced topics. Doing so will help us to come out with a book that will help all the 3 categories of programmers as well as help a newbie reach the master level systematically. This will also ensure our book does stay for longer time and may also become's PHP programmer's best guide :D

2. Based upon those who have already shown interest, we can take up responsibilities like editors, proof readers, code testers, debuggers and infact moderators. So, as and when a topic is being filled with material, the editors can work over the language, code testers test out the codes given in the material, debuggers solve bugs in these codes, moderators make sure evrything is going neat and organize the whole project :)

I hope we will kick start the book soon, I am ready to take the post of editor and code tester. Though materials can be contirubuted by any one, having a defined team will make things smooth and managable. What say ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:38 am 
Site Administrator

Editor or moderator or plain old contributor. I'd alos like to focus attention on newbie issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:54 am 
DevNet Master

Sounds very cool. I'd have no trouble doing writing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:35 am 
DevNet Resident

I think the first thing to do is to actually define the requirements to prevent "feature creep". If you're not careful you will get a "too many cooks..." situation. Then create a list of chapters and ask for "content" in those chapters. Care should be taken to have a common look and feel both to the chapter layout and also the coding style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:42 am 
Forum Commoner

* A rough common guidelines can be given for formatting and look. We should define how the contents should be organized. This will help in reducing formatting issues and content management.

* We should also try not to use propreitary formats and use open document formats or latex formats.

* Also, each writer should make sure he is not making any copyright violations, by hijacking code and content from any of the existing books on PHP. This is very important as our efforts shouldn't end in legal issues.

* The amount of materials and its relevancy should always be checked by mods or people who took that responsibility, so that the same content doesn't repeat again and again. This will also help in avoiding all the concentration and effort being put on certain topics while others are in lack of attention. So, we can use a sticky where we can place the topics that needs more contribution from time to time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next