To develop or not to develop...

Not for 'how-to' coding questions but PHP theory instead, this forum is here for those of us who wish to learn about design aspects of programming with PHP.

Moderator: General Moderators

belliash
Forum Newbie

To develop or not to develop...

Post by belliash »

... that is a question. So i decided to public some list of key features i would like to see in my project and i'm wondering if you find it usefull.
I posted everything on my blog, so that users from different communities can take a look at it and comment. I would be glad if you could also join and leave opinion as a comment.
Hello everyone. Today, I would like to introduce you a list of some features of PHP Framework & Content Management Suite. Both of them are gonna to be written from scratch and i have not found any other single product (both open source and commercial) that implements all of them. The only problem is that I am actually thinking if this really makes sense to writing another one software platform, while there are a lot of them available. Due to that i decided to publish this list of features and ask you for your opinions.

The key features I would like to implement:
  • Adaptive Interface: CMS features AJAX support and adaptive interface with flexible settings. A unique clean interface makes it look visually beautiful and much easier to work in due to the simplicity of the different interface elements.
  • Advanced SEO: The SEO helps making web project "search engine friendly" and improve its rating in the search results of major web search engines like Google, Yahoo!, Bing, etc.
  • AJAX Powered: Used to create interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small pieces of data with the server behind the scenes.
  • Automatic Caching: The advanced caching system reduces the number of database quersies, while also gives total control, including options for manual refresh and static page generation.
  • Automatic Time Zone Settings – all dates and times used in the whole website and 3rd party addons are shown with respect to the timezone set by the user.
  • Backup & Restore: Both files and database can be backed up and downloaded for easy server migrations. The friendly setup wizard helps in setting all data necessary for website to operate correctly on new server.
  • Checkword Timeout: Defines the maximum time during which the password recovery control word is stored; it allows to minimize risks of site attacks via the recovery mechanism by intercepting e-mails.
  • Compression: Squeezes pages before they are transmitted to a client to speed up output for end users. The makes the size of transferred pages several times less, which significantly increases the speed both for visitors and site administrators.
  • Content Life Cycle: Articles can be scheduled for publishing and expiration, which means you can set content to go live at a chosen date in the future, for example a press release, then have it retire automatically after a set period.
  • Database Independence: While many webmasters use MySQL, we know that MySQL is not the solution for everyone. Framework platform includes it own database abstraction layer that enables you to use any supported database backend.
  • Logging & Reporting: All important activities and events are captured in the log to be reviewed by an administrator at a later time.
  • Mobile Websites: This feature can be used for development of mobile websites and applications with support of Apple iOS, Android and BlackBerry OS using XHTML and/or HTML5.
  • Multi-Language: Designed to meet the requirements of an international audience and provides a full framework to create a multi-lingual website. All text can be translated using a graphical user interface, by importing existing translations, or by integrating with other translation tools such as the GNU gettext. All aspects of the application can now be made available in multiple translations: user interface, website content, site navigation.
  • Multi Sites: CMS allows to set up an unlimited number of sites under one, single installation! The multisites feature opens users new horizons on what they can do. Multisites share the same file system but have different databases and settings.
  • Multiple Output Formats: Using the MVC design strategy all data processing is handled in the business logic tier which is independent from the presentation and persistence layers. Switching the output format from HTML to mobile devices is as simple as creating new output templates for desired device, and basic data can be left as is.
  • Online Editor: WYSIWYG editor integrated into the website (no HTML coding required), providing formatting functions similar to word processing applications.
  • Open Source Advantage: The both framework and CMS are licensed uner the GPLv3 license.and offers the benefits of Open Source/Free Software.
  • Password Protected Pages: Create password protected pages or sections, designed for use as "Extranet," "Clients Only," or "Members Only" areas.
  • Performance Monitor: Provides a great set of tools for tracking and solving any web project efficiency problem. It indicates bottlenecks and provides recommendations.
  • Personalization: A robust personalization environment is at the core of framework. Both the content and the presentation can be individualized based on user-defined preferences.
  • Powerful Framework. With the API-based OOP framework platformn, users can quickly extend their own websites using best practices.
  • Pro-Active Security: Security model acts as a blanket around sensitive functions. Heuristic analysis of SQL queries ensures that if an SQL injection vulnerability exists, it is much more difficult to exploit. This combines technical and organizational measures that help you combat malicious programs and unauthorized access attempts, and prevents from attacks such as cross-site scripting (XSS), cross-site request forgery (CSRF), and cookie tampering. It significantly increases security of web-based applications.
  • RSS Feeds: Generates correctly formatted RSS feeds for your viewers to subscribe to, allowing them to be kept up to date on your websites content.
  • Send'n'Track Mail: Compose and send both plain text and HTML and e-mails directly from website to registered users. Then use the tracking facility to identify how recipients have reacted to the mail. Statistics include results for received, opened and number of times read.
  • Session IP Mask: With this protection on, theft of a cookie file containing the session information becomes useless. This type of protection is the most effective in struggle against XSS/CSS attacks.
  • Short Links Support - built-in tool for generating short links right in the front-end for all registered and logged in users.
  • Templates: Theme system separates content from presentation allowing to control the look and feel of your site. Templates are created from standard HTML coding meaning that there is no need to learn a proprietary templating language.
  • The Fluid Conception: It is a brand new look and structure, employed Ribbon-like interface, where a set of buttons are placed on tabs. The intent is to place most useful functions in one place, making them easy to find and use for all website operators.
  • Thoroughly Unit-Tested: The core framework is covered by extensive unit tests, ensuring a stable base to build on.
  • Update Notifier: CMS installation will notify administrator when a new release is available, helping to ensure he will always have the latest security and bug fixes as well as feature improvements.
  • User Authentication: Users can register and authenticate locally or using an external authentication source like OpenID.
  • Version Control: System tracks the details of content updates including who changed it, the date and time of changes made.
  • Web Accessibility: CMS does not treat accessibility as just an additional feature and generates accessible HTML strict output that meets the W3C/WAI and Section 508 requirements in the front end and the back end, ensuring that web application is accessible for people with disabilities. The system degrades gracefully if JavaScript is not available or not enabled.
  • Web-Based Interface: No software to install or maintain on the desktop. Manage your website from any computer - at home, at work, or on travel.
I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you guys. Please write your opinions as a comment using the form below. The ones who might be also willing to help in development, may also note that down, or write directly to my e-mail address: belliash (at) asiotec (dot) org
belliash.eu.org/component/content/article/5-obcojezyczne/72-cms-a-framework-ideas

Thanks a lot!
koen.h
Forum Contributor

Re: To develop or not to develop...

Post by koen.h »

Don't underestimate the development that will go into this. The features all look nice, but it will take time to implement.