PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:43 pm 
Forum Newbie

When I read this I realised just how many are out there with great skills, but no way to show it off? I have seen some....forgive me....horrible excuses for webpages with resume's that would scare off even the most desperate corporate jobscout.... :cry:

So now I was wondering if there IS a place Online where you people can post your resume's in a professional way to promote yourself? If not...why dont we make one?

After all we have the knowhow....lets put it to use!!
On Mortfiles.com, my own glorification site and helpfiles for people just getting started with webdesign I will post my own resume because its important to have a good front...

On a sidenote I can say that I do some "charity work" with webdesigns right now as I need to set up some websites to add to my Portfolios so if anyone would consider an exchange I could set up a webfront for you in exchange for your help in learning PHP.

Just head on over to Mortfiles.com to see a bit of the layout I am toying with, Dark City Projects to see some of my works(Nexus: The Dark City is the only site set up publicly yet) and then head over to The Mortfiles Forums If you want to discuss this further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:11 pm 

i base most of my impressions about webmasters on the way their html looks. with that sad....
your html formation suXes. there are at least 3 <head> tags, you close your <body> tag somewhere in the middle and again at the end. your syntax is all non-standard (i.e. the NOSAVE attrib on half of your tags). i could go on and on but i don't think the DevNet database could hold all of it.
if that is the kind of work you offer, ill go else wheres or better yet do it myself.
may i suggest that you ditch all that fancy DHTML stuff and go back to the basics :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:34 pm 

/me scratches his head and wonders if he was a bit harsh

probably and i apologize. :cry:

to show that the html is poor though i ran it through the W3C validator and here is what came out: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... tfiles.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:03 pm 
Forum Newbie

Nope, you are not to hard..:)
There are plenty of coding bugs on Mortfiles, but its because its just a display page for the layout, not the actual page itself. :) The many body tags and scrambled html is because I have toyed with SSI and been to lazy to remove the excess html, making multiple html show up as a result. I will confess I never cared much about standards or Validation services up until lately...Rebel at heart and all that...:)

When I said that I have seen some poor excuses for webpages I did not mean that ALL sites I have seen are horrible, but some are...And I dont mean the coding base, which probably are all good, more or less...I mean the overall layout.

Lets face it...If this site for instance were designed in bright yellow with dark geen text and purple links...would you consider it a serious website? probably not....Layout is everything.

Even if the coding is poor (which it should not be) you will still appear more serious with a good layout than you would with a solid coding base and a poor layout.

I know there are alot of knowledge on these forums and on other places on the web and I just wondered if there was a good place to post your resumé, or if one should be made....I did not mean that I should do it for you..:)

I take all critic as positive as long as you give me advice on how to correct my errors...I am not proud to admit I am wrong, I embrace the oppertunity to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:10 pm 

ok, at least i know you're not about to kick my @$$ for being hard. ;) and the SSI thing is understandable.

the actual layout of the site is cool, though i myself tend not to like DHTML.

yeas, standards and keeping things valid is becoming a major thing (XHTML and CSS). in fact this very message board could validate as XHTML but it is defined as HTML 4.01 cause dealing with user input can be tricky when trying to keep it compliant. reading the reccomendations on http://www.w3.org is a great place to get started. and i highly reccomend you learn XHTML.

cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:49 am 
Forum Newbie

I am just toying with the DHTML menu as I have a few friends who wants to use it, and the fact that I am always eager to try new things. :)

When it comes to XHTML I have not yet ventured to far into those areas, mostly because my interest has not yet moved me in that direction...I am sure I will find reasons to move into those areas as well shortly. :)

Right now PHP and MySQL keeps me occupied as I try to figure things out as I see them with no formal programming education or nearby friends who deals with it... Basicly I am struggling blindfolded, but then again so has all my programming life been. :)

Its the learning experience and the satisfaction when you accomplish something that makes it all worth while after all.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:44 pm 
PHP Evangelist

http://www.monster.com
http://www.monster.ca

I posted on, i heard alot of companies go there since its so well advertised for new employees. Most contract workers or cyber companies find people there also.

8)