PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for PHP Author
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:19 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hello All,
Our new publishing company, SourceBeat, is looking for a PHP author to write one of our next books. We are an innovative publishing company in that our books are updated each month by our authors after the 1st release of the book. Readers subscribe to the book on an annual basis for $29.95 for the first year, and a discounted rate going forward.

If you are interested in writing for us, please send a high level bio of yourself, plus an outline of how you see the first release of the book done (Generally 6-9 chapters). Please send this to editor@sourcebeat.com. Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:14 am 
DevNet Master

Can you provide information for our members about the financial rewards for this job?

If pay is dependant on subscription income please make that clear.

Thankyou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:06 am 
Forum Newbie

We pay a fee up front and a fee at release of the 1.0 of the book. On top of that, we pay royalties based on number of subscribers, as long as the author continues to update their work monthly, generally 20-30 hours per month. Our target income for the author per year is approximately $60,000, which is much more aggressive than traditional publishers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:09 pm 
DevNet Master

Let me explain a bit. We get a lot of job offers here which promise riches but don't deliver.

Your offer suggests an amount which successful applicants might get paid but does not explain clearly what the fixed payments are. Often, once you nail down the "might" side of the deal, there isn't anything there at all. Targets mean nothing to me I'm sorry to say.

Members are of course free to make up their own minds but the more details you can give the more likely it is that you'll get a positive response.

Last edited by McGruff on Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:14 pm 
Forum Newbie

I'll leave it up to the readers to see if they want to pursue. I am sure they can fend for themselves. Anyone is free to look at our website or contact any of our current authors.