PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PHP popularity != jobs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:20 pm 
Forum Newbie

If you look at Netcraft, LAMP use is increasing by leaps and bounds. Why, then, are there so few job openings? Try searching any of the job sites for PHP. Then search for ASP. Why the discrepancy? Should I be using M$ technologies, if only for the job and pay prospects? Is PHP a dead-end career choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:40 pm 
Forum Regular

Usually companies with $$$ choose the MS/ASP/.NET/SQL Server rather than LAMP.

Since companies with $$$ usually hire more people than companies without, that's why there are more jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:54 am 
Forum Commoner

I think that in a few years, especially with the added popularity of Lindows becoming more apparent, companies will start moving towards more linux applications rather than the previous mentioned mostly based off of not only saving money, but (especially after the mydoom virus) security.

To add to this, most companies are starting to realize that associating themselves with Microsoft is beginning to hurt them in many ways, especially in the "bullseye" department when it comes to malicious hacking, and of course the multi licence department.

Anyhow, here is a few links that makes me even more of a believer that Linux is going to trickle more into the mainstream:

http://www.lindows.com/mseula

http://www.lindows.com/lindowsrock

http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products ... inning.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:31 pm 
Forum Regular

I was having the same thoughts actually. I was working as a PHP developer for 2 years but wanted to relocated and still work with PHP, it took me 1.5 years to find a good php job. I'm at the new job now.. Enterprise level PHP/SOAP stuff. It was worth the wait though! for pay and benefits :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:40 pm 
DevNet Master

Companies tend to be wary of open source I guess partly because, if the software doesn't pan out, the decision-maker is more exposed if he went for a "new" solution rather than a conservative option.

Also, initial costs are just one small part of the whole life-cycle costs. Support costs are a big issue and unsupported open source may not be seen as a good option in the long term (maybe they haven't taken a good look at mysql.com).

So, maybe those are the two battle fronts: get them with the "you don't want to die out like the dinosaurs" line and offer good support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:32 pm 
Forum Commoner

Hopefully Linux or any subsidaries of any progress or profit do not become jaded, and than start the rapid rise of increased costs due to popularity and the age old excuse: Supply and demand.

History dictates that upstart companies in any faction of business tend to bag the consumer first with promises of low cost alternatives, and than as progression takes place, prices become higher and so forth eventually leading to a buyout of some kind and than in a case like Linux, winding up being the very thing it was sent to destroy.
It could be the perfect ending in Microsofts book for sure.

MYsql is the perfect example of a awesome product kept under the carpet because of corperate shading with Oracle being the biggest tree in the forest.

For just a few examples of this low cost "solution" one only needs to look at places like Home Depot, Walmart, AOL, Netscape (to a certain degree...the AOL thing smurf me off...)etc. and realize that any time a big company gets their hooks into something, its pretty much destined for corperate profits.

Hopefully that never happens with Tux, but you never know... :(