How does one select an original of a draggable element?

JavaScript and client side scripting.

Moderator: General Moderators

How does one select an original of a draggable element?

Postby drayarms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Hello, i'm using jquery draggable method to move an element to a new container. I want the original element to disappear once the dragging begins and have a clone of the original to be dragged instead. Then once is clone is dropped into droppable, I want the original to reappear in a third container and the clone to dissappear. I'm stuck at stage 1, (ie making the original to dissapar). Problem is, I don't know how to select the object representing the original. Here's what I've tried. I've also $(this).hide() in place of ui.draggable.hide(), but none of that works. Any ideas? Thanks.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]

function drag(){

$('#drag_box > img').draggable({//Elements to be dragged are image elements contained in #drag_box

helper: 'clone',

revert: true,

dragStart: function(event, ui){

ui.draggable.hide();//This line is supposed to hide the original

}

});//end draggable method

$('#drop_box').droppable({

accept: '#drag_box img',  

drop: function(event, ui){

ui.helper.remove();//Removes the clone from the DOM

}

});//end droppable method

}//End drag

drayarms
Forum Contributor

Re: How does one select an original of a draggable element?

Postby avibitton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:54 pm

can you send simple html code of what you want do ?
i guess the clone is display :none ; by deatult and than you do show () ,right? (dont forget you can use addClass and remove class its very usefull when you do css to #drag use add class and do #drag.vis {visibility:hidden;} and than change css to visibilty visible im not sure remove class will help to cancel the hidden but .css("visibility","visible"); should work
try to do $(this).css("visibility","hidden"); //it will change its css to hidden when you want another event change the css to visible .
.in same css you can add class for the close to be visiable than you hide object1 and make visible object2 .
hope it helps a little bit .
avibitton
Forum Newbie

Return to Javascript